st: Mixed continuous and interval censored time-to-event analysis

From   "MacLennan, Graeme" <>
Subject   st: Mixed continuous and interval censored time-to-event analysis
Date   Wed, 3 Oct 2012 15:26:50 +0100

Dear Statalist, I have data on time to an event, the event is "failure" in a randomised controlled trial.  Information on failure is collected through two channels.  Firstly, annual questionnaires where failure is defined as being below a certain cut-off on a self-reported outcome measure, although reported annually this failure will have occurred at some point between the last non-failure questionnaire the failure questionnaire, I consider this to be interval censored time-to-event data.  Secondly failure data is captured through routine data sources on hospital readmissions, and as such is a more exact representation of failure time (putting aside any concerns one might have about lag between time of failure and admission to hospital), and I consider this to be continuous time-to-event data.

A clear strategy is to aggregate the continuous data up to interval censored data and use appropriate methods, but this seems like a waste of information to me.  However, after some initial digging about I can't find any pointers, so my question is do the list members know of any literature on this, particularly with Stata in mind?

Regards, Graeme.