st: reclink error )

From   David Sikkink <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: reclink error )
Date   Wed, 3 Oct 2012 10:16:15 -0400

Hi, reclink users,

I am using reclink to match variable labels across datasets that each include a variable for variable label, variable name, variable size, etc.

I am running this syntax:

<reclink varlabel varname vartype varsize using "C:\Users\dsikkink\Documents\Data\KnowledgeNets\SchoolInfo\PasscodeAlumniVarLabels1.dta"  , gen(myscore) idm(WebID) idu(idpass)  wmatch(15 5 3 1) wnomatch(15 1 5 2)>

And getting this error:

"1960 perfect matches found

) required

end of do-file"

I tried changing  single quotes in my string variable (varlabel) to @ by using this syntax:

replace varlabel = regexr(varlabel, "'", "@")

But I still receive the same error message.

Are there other characters that create problems for reclink? I have a lot of them. Here is an example of one string in the varlabel variable:

We'd like to hear how you felt about your high school experience when you were at ${q://QID1440/Choi...-The athletic opportunities

Thanks for any help you can offer.

David Sikkink
Associate Professor
Department of Sociology