Re: st: separating components of a string variable

From   Nick Cox <>
Subject   Re: st: separating components of a string variable
Date   Mon, 1 Oct 2012 20:40:27 +0100

gen whatever = substr(id, 2, 2)

gen last3 = substr(id, -3, 3)

use -real()- as well if desired.

See for the functions that "everyone should know":

Nicholas J. Cox. 2011. Speaking Stata: Fun and fluency with functions.
The Stata Journal
11(3): 460-471

Abstract.  Functions are the unsung heroes of Stata. This column is a
tour of functions that might easily be missed or underestimated, with
a potpourri of tips, tricks, and examples for a wide range of basic