st: separating components of a string variable

From   Mahbubeh Parsaeian <>
To   ";" <>
Subject   st: separating components of a string variable
Date   Mon, 1 Oct 2012 12:32:14 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everybody.
I have a question about separating the component of a string variable.
Suppose you have a string variable which is an id variable and consists of 9 numbers. The second and third numbers introduce the province and you want
to separate this part of the string variable and save it as a new
I also have another question. I have an id number such as 123456 and I want
to separate 3 numbers from the right side (456).
Would you please help me to find good solutions for these questions?
Thanks for your attention.