Re: st: Matching samples in Stata

From   David Kantor <kantor.d@att.net>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Matching samples in Stata
Date   Mon, 01 Oct 2012 12:34:05 -0400

At 10:08 AM 10/1/2012, Paula Arce wrote:

Hi All,

I am interested in comparing medical students vs. other students on a number of measures from a survey study. The medical student subgroup accounts for 12% of the total sample.

I would, therefore, like to match the medical students with a sub-group of the other students based on socio-demographic variables - so that the two samples are more similar in size.

How can I achieve this in Stata? is there a matching command/macro I can download and use? Has anyone done anything similar and can share some tips?

Many thanks,
Paula

In addition to psmatch2, as was suggested, you may check out mahapick (on SSC) and its several component programs.
HTH
--David