Re: st: goodness of fit measure fir ivtobit

From   "Anat (Manes) Tchetchik" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: goodness of fit measure fir ivtobit
Date   Tue, 25 Sep 2012 13:49:47 +0200

Austin hi,
I have read the material regarding the ivpois model you have referred
me to and ran it on my data set. The results look pretty plausible .
Just before sticking to this model I have few last questions:

1. Can I use the exposure variable (in my case the maximum of the two
values: respondent's adulthood years and and the no. of years his/her
relative is staying abroad) also as an independent var.? (or given
that I do it- I should not use the exposure option)

2. I'm not sure i understand when I should use the exposure option and
when the offset one

3. Do I calculate goodness of fit measure using the same procedure you
recommended earlier
(http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/statistics/r-squared/) ?

Thank you very much!
Anat

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Austin Nichols <[email protected]> wrote:

> Anat (Manes) Tchetchik <[email protected]> :
> Indeed, no censoring in your model. You have exactly the case I
> referred to when I wrote "I suspect you have a lower limit at zero
> which is actually a very low conditional mean rounded down to zero."
> Unless you believe that the Tobit model somehow correctly captures
> bunching at zero due to utility functions which would imply a negative
> demand for travel abroad, if such a thing were possible, which is
> implausible at best, you are much better off assuming that people with
> zero travel abroad simply have very low demand, and a group that has a
> conditional mean of 1/100000 trips will indeed have a lot of zeros
> observed.  The -ivpois- package on SSC, and the -gmm- specifications
> that supersede it, are designed to allow instrumental variables in a
> count model, or a regression with nonnegative outcomes more generally:
> http://www.stata.com/meeting/boston10/boston10_nichols.pdf
> http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/i/ivpois.html
>
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Anat (Manes) Tchetchik
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I haven't thought about the count model, I will definitely try to run
> > it! thanks much!
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Maarten Buis <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> That does not sound like censoring at all. I would think of this as a
> >> regular count model. There are examples on how to deal with such an
> >> iv-model in -help gmm-.
> >>
> >> Hope this helps,
> >> Maarten

Anat Tchetchik, PhD
Department of Hotel and Tourism Management
Guilford Glazer Faculty of Business and Management
Ben-Gurion University of the Negev
P.O.Box: 653
Beer-Sheva, Israel, 84105

E-mail:       [email protected]