st: margins, eyex

From   albert Lee <>
Subject   st: margins, eyex
Date   Sun, 23 Sep 2012 14:59:23 -0400

Hi, I ran a simple OLS and invoked the margins, eyex(*) to calculate
the elasticities.  I try to replicate the elasticity estimates by
running the sample regression with logged dependent variable, and
independent variables.  I was surprised that the coefficient estimates
from the logged regression are not identical with the margins
estimates.  Initially, I thought the discrepancies are due to atmeans
and asobserved options with margins.  But I tried both options and
still cannot replicate elasticity estimates by the logged regression.
Could someone explain?

Albert J. Lee, Ph.D.,

Summit Consulting LLC*
626 E Street NW, Suite 200
Washington DC 20004

Main (202) 407 8300
Direct (202) 407 8302
Fax (509) 984 8943

*Summit Consulting is a SBA certified 8(a) company with GSA FABS and
MOBIS schedules