Re: st: margins, eyex

From   Antoine Terracol <>
Subject   Re: st: margins, eyex
Date   Sun, 23 Sep 2012 22:06:47 +0200

That's because when you regress ln(y) on ln(x), you assume a constant elasticity, i.e. a linear relationship between ln(x) and ln(y); estimated by the coefficient of ln(x). When you regress y on x, you assume a linear relationship between x and y. The estimated relationship between ln(x) and ln(y) will not be linear in that case; and the elasticity will thus vary according to the value of x.

tl;dr: -reg y x- and -reg ln(y ln(x)- do not make the same assumptions on the relationship between y and x