Re: st: make syntax options optional

From   Christopher Baum <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: make syntax options optional
Date   Tue, 11 Sep 2012 13:09:36 +0000

On Sep 11, 2012, at 2:33 AM, Tashi wrote:

> . file, doc_id(7) firm_id(6429)
> invalid syntax
> I searched for archive and found out that we need to give a default value for optional options like following
> syntax, doc_id(int) [firm_id(int 5)]
> I am not sure if I understood this. Does this not fix firm_id=5? In my case, firm_id will vary. Any idea or hint will be highly appreciated.

Thou shalt not take Stata's command names as thine own.

If you had bothered to type -help file- you would understand that your version of -file- will never be executed by Stata, as -file- is a built-in command. You could tweak Stata's directories (a very bad idea!) to occlude a command implemented as an ado-file, but a built-in command is just that.

                             An Introduction to Stata Programming  |