st: Create a Dummy Based on Standard Deviation

From   Shan Ghimire <>
Subject   st: Create a Dummy Based on Standard Deviation
Date   Mon, 10 Sep 2012 23:43:52 -0400

Dear Listers,
I have a panel data on 'X', say i=100 and t=5, giving N = 500, with mean=18 and sd = 4. Now, I want to create a dummy variable 'Y' for each observation where Y =1 {if the observation 'X' is within 1 standard deviation from the mean of X}, otherwise give it a value 0. It sounds like it's not too difficult but I am really spending too much time trying to figure it out. Could somebody help me, please?
Thank you.