RE: st: polychoric for huge data sets

From   Timea Partos <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: polychoric for huge data sets
Date   Thu, 6 Sep 2012 00:39:53 +0000

Hi guys,

Thanks for the suggestions.
Just to clarify, my problem with using polychoric is that it is very slow.  I waited over 2 hours and still no result.
So I ran some experiments:  when I run polychoric with just two variables, it takes around 35 seconds.  This is regardless of whether I do it with 800 cases or 8000.  3 variables is around 110 seconds, 4 variables is 220 or so, which suggests that the processing time increases about linearly with the pairs of correlations it needs to calculate (so probably quadratically with the number of variables), regardless of the number of cases.
So, with my data set this would be over 6 hours for each analysis, which given that this is exploratory and I would be wanting to run numerous analyses, its just not feasible for me.
Nick - you suggested that its possible to run polychoric on 8000 cases with 40 variables in a matter of minutes.
Can I ask how you did this?   Is it possible that there is something wrong with my computer's settings then - or that its just too slow?
I am running Windows, Stata versions 12.1, 32 bits with an Intel i5-2500S 2.7 GHz processor and 4 GB of ram.

Re the variables - this is not some hairbrained data-mining or data-cleaning exercise.  It's a well established and validated survey that is firmly based in theory and has been running internationally for over 8 years.  The variables I am looking at should theoretically hang together and reduce to 2 or three factors - and this is what is suggested by the analyses that I have run just treating them as continuous.  I would just like to confirm the results with a more appropriate statistical analysis if possible.  I was hoping to use the matrix of correlations provided by polychoric and feed it into the factormat program rather than using polychoricpca (I definitely want to use factor analysis not pca - as I want to get at the broader theoretical factors rather than just explain the maximum variance in my data).

So, any suggestions for how to speed up polychoric would be much appreciated (as would a concrete "this is just not possible" comment, so that I don't waste too much time trying.)

Thanks,
-Timea

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Stas Kolenikov
Sent: Thursday, 6 September 2012 3:19 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: polychoric for huge data sets

Well, clearly there's some overhead that hardly depends on the number of variables (parsing, populating the matrices, etc.), but that should be much faster than the iterative optimization. It may well be that with some setups, the time may be somewhat faster than quadratic, but I'd be surprised if it were as fast as linear: -polychoric- literally computes the correlations one by one, so I thought that the quadratic is unavoidable.

--
-- Stas Kolenikov, PhD, PStat (SSC)  ::  http://stas.kolenikov.name
-- Senior Survey Statistician, Abt SRBI  ::  work email kolenikovs at srbi dot com