st: polychoric for huge data sets

From   Timea Partos <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: polychoric for huge data sets
Date   Wed, 5 Sep 2012 02:37:56 +0000

Hello all,

I need to run a factor analysis on ordinal data.  My dataset is huge (7000+ cases with 40+ variables) so I can't run the program written by Stas Kolenikov, because it just can't handle it.

Does anyone know of a fast way to obtain the polychoric correlation matrix for very large data sets?

Alternatively, I was thinking of running the factor analysis using the Spearman rho (rank-order correlations) matrix instead.  Would this be appropriate?

Thanks in advance,

Ms. Timea Partos
Research Officer
T: +61 (0)3 96355183
F: +61 (0)3 96355440
Cancer Council Victoria
Vichealth Centre for Tobacco Control
100 Drummond street, Carlton Vic 3053 Australia

Find us on  at