Re: st: Does xtreg (or xtivreg) assume equally spaced time points?

From   Lisa Marie Yarnell <[email protected]>
To   David Greenberg <[email protected]>, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Does xtreg (or xtivreg) assume equally spaced time points?
Date   Tue, 7 Aug 2012 14:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks, everyone.  I am going to read a bit about fixed and random effects models and try to determine which is best for this data.

Thanks again,
Lisa

----- Original Message -----
From: David Greenberg <[email protected]>
To: Lisa Marie Yarnell <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 7, 2012 2:03 PM
Subject: Re: st: Does xtreg (or xtivreg) assume equally spaced time points?

A random effects model is viable in the sense that you can run it, but
in doing so, you are tacitly assuming that all the predictors in your
model are uncorrelated with the error terms. If there are omitted
variables contributing to those error terms, they could well produce
such non-vanishing correlations. You can test for these non-vanishing
correlations by conducting a Hausman test. The test will tell you
whether to use an RE or FE model. Ignoring the results of that test in
order to get an estimate for the effect of a time-invariant predictor
is making a bargain with the devil. You get your estimate, but you
will be getting an inconsistent estimate. What good is that? David
Greenberg, SOciology Department, NYU