Re: st: Question about spmap

From   David Cuberes <>
Subject   Re: st: Question about spmap
Date   Tue, 7 Aug 2012 10:39:50 +0100

Thanks for your help, Nick.

I got the shapefiles from "", a shapefile that contains
the boundaries of all countries of the world. this is from the wep
page "International Education Statistics (by Friedrich Huebler)". I am
using the following syntax:

spmap egg2 using "world-c.dta" if country!="Antarctica", id(id)
fcolor(Blues) legend(symy(*2) symx(*2) size(*2)) /*
*/ title("Entrepreneurs Gender Gap", size(*1.0))  legorder(lohi)

Thanks again!

On 7 August 2012 10:19, Nick Cox <> wrote:
> -spmap- is from SSC. -spmap- by and large draws maps according to the
> data it is given. On this information I have to guess that your
> problem lies in your data and can be fixed only by fixing the data.
> For example, borders and coasts are different and a dataset with
> borders only won't show coasts.
> Nick
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 9:54 AM, David Cuberes <> wrote:
>> I am trying to construct a worldwide map using the command "spmap".
>> Stat produces the graph as expected...except for the fact that some
>> countries do not have a border! In particular, while the Americas and
>> Europe are totally fine, I don't have borders for Africa or Asia! I
>> mean, there are still borders across countries in these continents,
>> but the sea borders are often missing...
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *
> *
> *

David Cuberes
Department of Economics
University of Sheffield
Times Higher Education University of the Year

+44 (0)114 22 23313