Re: st: 1-4 scale

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: 1-4 scale
Date   Sat, 4 Aug 2012 08:26:43 -0400

Dear Ebru,

Your options probably depend on how much data you have.

In some areas, it is customary to assign the values 1 through 4 to
each question, form the sum of the four questions in each of the two
headings, and use those two variables in your model.  Centering is
probably not important at this stage.

That approach chooses one particular way of combining the four
questions in each heading.  To let the data choose the combination,
you can use all eight questions in your model, instead of the two
sums.  You should probably check that no two questions are highly
correlated.

If you have enough data, you can (as Nick suggested) use a factor
variable for each question.  Then your model will have three
coefficients for each question.  This approach avoids the assumption
that the response categories for a question are equally spaced.

I would not exclude the possibility of interactions between questions.
 In principle, you can cross-classify the data on the eight questions,
but the full cross-classification would have 4^8 = 2^16 cells.  For
the separate sets of four questions, the cross-classification would
have 256 cells.

David Hoaglin