Re: st: Not Quite Quadratic Regression

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Not Quite Quadratic Regression
Date   Sat, 4 Aug 2012 08:05:34 -0400

If theory predicts a u-shaped relation, it may be useful to transform
y, but it probably will not make sense to transform x. Does theory
provide any guidance on the scale for y or the scale for x?  Common
transformations include log and square root.

I suppose theory does not predict the functional form of the relation.
 Since the relation is u-shaped, you may want to center x at the value
corresponding to the bottom of the U (either based on theory or based
on the data).

You may be able to use lowess to trace a fairly smooth summary curve
through your noisy scatterplot.  That may suggest a functional form.

Many nonlinear relations are not well approximated by a quadratic.
When the amount of data is large enough, I have sometimes been able to
let the data guide the choice of functional form by replacing x by a
piecewise-constant function of x with fairly narrow intervals.  In
your model, the piecewise-constant function would replace ax + bx^2.
This approach works when the model contains predictors other than x.
It may lead you to a suitable (linear) spline.

David Hoaglin