st: 1-4 scale

From   Ebru Ozturk <ebru_0512@hotmail.com>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: 1-4 scale
Date   Sat, 4 Aug 2012 13:24:41 +0300

Dear All,

I have a question on how to add a variable that includes items measured by likert scale to the estimation model.

For instance, in the data there is one question that measures the objectives of innovation activities. The answers to the question include 8 items that have been measured by 1-4 scale. I will split them into two headings as they focus on two types of objectives. Thus, for each 4 item how do I add them to the model? Because it is 1-4 scale so do I need to mean centred them or do something else?

Thanks for your help...
Ebru