RE: st: What is EGEN_Varname and EGEN_SVarname ?

From   Pradipto Banerjee <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: What is EGEN_Varname and EGEN_SVarname ?
Date   Tue, 31 Jul 2012 10:39:38 -0500

Hi Nick, thanks for your replies.

1. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll replace with your suggestion.
2. Yes, a single common variable type is a limitation.
3. Thanks for pointing out the limitation of -wordcount-.
4. Yes, that's true, I didn't intended it for -if- and -in, and so like the variable type this too needs to be same. I tried the same logic for -if- and -in-, but Stata gave me errors right at the onset. I couldn't figure out how to get around it.
5. Thanks, I'll add it.
6. I know. I'm used to programming in C++/Java/Matlab, and I tried to somewhat translate the way I would do a logic in C++/Java/Matlab into Stata.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:13 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: What is EGEN_Varname and EGEN_SVarname ?

Fuller comment is difficult given that you have not formally declared
exactly what you want to support and that non-trivial code needs to be
tested through a detailed script, but a very quick glance at your code
identifies various problems which you may want to know about. (As
earlier indicated, I am not in sympathy with the overall goal and
recommend rather, as did Nick Winter, just looping over -egen- calls,
which is, in my experience, more efficient, and less error-prone, than
trying to program like this.)

1. As pointed out before, your local macro -types- will be more than
244 characters long, so -strpos()- will fail sometimes to do what you
want it to do. Most commands that allow variable types to be specified
just pass the variable type to -generate- and let that find a syntax
error in specifying a variable type. Another way to test  a variable
type is that one of the following should always work

tempvar foo
capture gen `type'  `foo' = 1
if _rc gen `type' `foo' = "1"
if _rc {
      di as err "`type' invalid variable type"
      exit 198
}
drop `foo'

2. You seem to be presuming that at most single explicit variable type
will be sufficient for a multiple call to -egen-. In practice that
will be a fair assumption for most numeric problems, but likely to be
wrong for at least some string problems.

3. As in #1, some of your other manipulations will fail to work
properly with strings longer than 244 characters. (That -wordcount()-
will bite you was raised in a different thread yesterday.)

4. As I understand it, your syntax does not test for -if-, -in- or
missing values at the outset, but lets each individual -egen- call
sort that out. That's your call as program author, but note that it
could lead to inconsistencies with different input variables,
especially with missing values. It's a more usual Stata standard to
use -marksample- to identify a subset of observations with non-missing
values on all specified observations on all variables specified.

5. Your -program- definition lacks a -version- statement.

6. There is some rather ad hoc parsing. The -parse- command would make
some of your coding easier (and easier to follow).

Nick

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 5:50 PM, Pradipto Banerjee
<[email protected]> wrote:
> In case, it helps why I was asking about EGEN_Varname and EGEN_SVarname, this is a command of the-egenmult- code I have written that repeatedly calls -egen-. The way it works is as follows:
>
> . sysuse auto, clear
>
> Example # 1
> . by foreign, sort: egenmult {test1 test2} = sum({price mpg})
>
> It works equivalently as:
>
> . sort foreign
> . by foreign: egen test1 = sum(price)
> . by foreign: egen test2 = sum(mpg)
>
> Example # 2
> . drop test1 test2
> . by foreign, sort: egenmult float {test1 test2} = pctile(price), p({10 90})
>
> It works equivalent as:
>
> . sort foreign
> . by foreign: egen float test1 = pctile(price),p(10)
> . by foreign: egen float test2 = pctile(price),p(90)
>
> I've been trying to see if I'm missing anything in the code below. Thanks.
>
> -----
> program define egenmult, byable(onecall) sortpreserve
>         local fullexp `0'
>         gettoken type 0 : 0, parse(" ")
>         local restexp `"`0'"'
>
>         /* gen a list of all possible types */
>         local types "byte int long float double"
>         forvalues i=1(1)244 {
>                 local types "`types' str`i'"
>         }
>         local typegiven strpos(`"`types'"',`"`type'"')
>         if `typegiven' > 0 local fullexp `restexp'
>         else local type
>
>         /* get the number & locations of the { } */
>         local partexp = `"`fullexp'"'
>         local curvefnd = 0
>         local numbrak = 0
>         local allopenpos
>         local allclosepos
>         local alloptions
>         while `curvefnd' == 0 {
>                 local openpos = strpos(`"`partexp'"',"{")
>                 if `openpos'>0 {
>                         local allopenpos `allopenpos' `openpos'
>                         local closepos = strpos(`"`partexp'"',"}")
>                         if `closepos' == 0 error 198
>                         local allclosepos `allclosepos' `closepos'
>                         local numbrak = `numbrak'+1
>                         if `"`alloptions'"'=="" {
>                                 local newoptions = substr(`"`partexp'"',`openpos'+1,`closepos'-`openpos'-1)
>                                 local alloptions `"`newoptions'"'
>                                 local numloop = wordcount(`"`newoptions'"')
>                         }
>                         else {
>                                 local newoptions = substr(`"`partexp'"',`openpos'+1,`closepos'-`openpos'-1)
>                                 if `numloop'!=wordcount(`"`newoptions'"') error 198
>                                 local alloptions `"`alloptions'"' `"`newoptions'"'
>                         }
>                 }
>                 else {
>                         local curvefnd = 1
>                 }
>                 local partexp = subinstr(`"`partexp'"',"{","!",1)
>                 local partexp = subinstr(`"`partexp'"',"}","!",1)
>         }
>         local tollen = strlen(`"`partexp'"')
>
>         /* recreate & run the individual commands */
>         forvalues iloop=1(1)`numloop' {
>                 forvalues jbrak=1(1)`numbrak' {
>                         if `jbrak'==1 {
> [...]

 This communication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be, nor should it be construed or used as, financial, legal, tax or investment advice or an offer to sell, or a solicitation of any offer to buy, an interest in any fund advised by Ada Investment Management LP, the Investment advisor.  Any offer or solicitation of an investment in any of the Funds may be made only by delivery of such Funds confidential offering materials to authorized prospective investors.  An investment in any of the Funds is not suitable for all investors.  No representation is made that the Funds will or are likely to achieve their objectives, or that any investor will or is likely to achieve results comparable to those shown, or will make any profit at all or will be able to avoid incurring substantial losses.  Performance results are net of applicable fees, are unaudited and reflect reinvestment of income and profits.  Past performance is no guarantee of future results. All f!
 inancial data and other information are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and are subject to change without notice.

Any comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect those of Ada Investment Management LP and its affiliates. This transmission may contain information that is confidential, legally privileged, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is strictly prohibited. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format.