Re: st: What is EGEN_Varname and EGEN_SVarname ?

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: What is EGEN_Varname and EGEN_SVarname ?
Date   Tue, 31 Jul 2012 09:13:01 -0500

Fuller comment is difficult given that you have not formally declared
exactly what you want to support and that non-trivial code needs to be
tested through a detailed script, but a very quick glance at your code
identifies various problems which you may want to know about. (As
earlier indicated, I am not in sympathy with the overall goal and
recommend rather, as did Nick Winter, just looping over -egen- calls,
which is, in my experience, more efficient, and less error-prone, than
trying to program like this.)

1. As pointed out before, your local macro -types- will be more than
244 characters long, so -strpos()- will fail sometimes to do what you
want it to do. Most commands that allow variable types to be specified
just pass the variable type to -generate- and let that find a syntax
error in specifying a variable type. Another way to test  a variable
type is that one of the following should always work

tempvar foo
capture gen `type'  `foo' = 1
if _rc gen `type' `foo' = "1"
if _rc {
      di as err "`type' invalid variable type"
      exit 198
}
drop `foo'

2. You seem to be presuming that at most single explicit variable type
will be sufficient for a multiple call to -egen-. In practice that
will be a fair assumption for most numeric problems, but likely to be
wrong for at least some string problems.

3. As in #1, some of your other manipulations will fail to work
properly with strings longer than 244 characters. (That -wordcount()-
will bite you was raised in a different thread yesterday.)

4. As I understand it, your syntax does not test for -if-, -in- or
missing values at the outset, but lets each individual -egen- call
sort that out. That's your call as program author, but note that it
could lead to inconsistencies with different input variables,
especially with missing values. It's a more usual Stata standard to
use -marksample- to identify a subset of observations with non-missing
values on all specified observations on all variables specified.

5. Your -program- definition lacks a -version- statement.

6. There is some rather ad hoc parsing. The -parse- command would make
some of your coding easier (and easier to follow).

Nick