st: Graphing Stacked Likert Scale With Neutral in Middle

From   Miles Witthaus <witthausmiles@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: Graphing Stacked Likert Scale With Neutral in Middle
Date   Fri, 20 Jul 2012 15:10:51 -0700

I am attempting to display the answers to several survey questions based on 5-point Likert scales.  Currently, I am using catplot which nicely displays the different categories and what percent lies in each:

catplot rate_contract, over(gender) asyvars stack perc(hire_charge) blabel(bar, position(center) format(%3.1f))

However, this does not allow for a good comparison of the distribution by gender.  I would like to try to make the median of the neutral category 3 be in the center of the graph and then have positives stacked on the right and negatives to the left to allow for better comparison by gender.  Is there anyway to do this with catplot or other graphing means?

Thanks!