Re: st: Finding xi3

From   Steve Samuels <>
Subject   Re: st: Finding xi3
Date   Tue, 17 Jul 2012 10:23:54 -0400

Indeed it does, as I reported in 2007.  Late night searches...I probably didn't scroll down far enough.

Thanks for the correction.

On Jul 17, 2012, at 10:57 AM, Richard Williams wrote:

At 08:40 AM 7/17/2012, Steve Samuels wrote:

> -xi3-  is an enhanced "interaction-expansion" prefix command, written by Phil Ender.
> The reference  is  to a 2007 Statalist thread  about how to find -xi3-. ( For some
> reason, -findit- still does not do the job. I just now located -xi3- by starting
> from a search box on the UCLA Academic Technology Services web site.
> (

-findit- finds it for me. When I click on the link for it, I get

net describe xi3, from(

> In Stata 11+, factor variables provide much of the utility of -xi3-.  However
> -xi3- and the contributed command -desmat- (findit)  have capabilities that
> have not yet been duplicated in official Stata:  options to generate
> Helmert and other special coding schemes.

In Stata 12, the new -contrast- command seems to provide much if not all of the utility provided by -xi3-, including Helmert and reverse Helmert. See

help contrast
help contrast##operators

> I want to thank again Phil Ender and ATS for providing such a wonderful
> resource for data analysts.

I agree. Besides programs, UCLA has some very nice tutorials and examples.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu