Re: st: Finding xi3

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: Finding xi3
Date   Tue, 17 Jul 2012 09:57:56 -0500

At 08:40 AM 7/17/2012, Steve Samuels wrote:

-xi3- is an enhanced "interaction-expansion" prefix command, written by Phil Ender. The reference is to a 2007 Statalist thread about how to find -xi3-. ( For some reason, -findit- still does not do the job. I just now located -xi3- by starting
from a search box on the UCLA Academic Technology Services web site.

-findit- finds it for me. When I click on the link for it, I get

net describe xi3, from(

In Stata 11+, factor variables provide much of the utility of -xi3-.  However
-xi3- and the contributed command -desmat- (findit)  have capabilities that
have not yet been duplicated in official Stata:  options to generate
Helmert and other special coding schemes.

In Stata 12, the new -contrast- command seems to provide much if not all of the utility provided by -xi3-, including Helmert and reverse Helmert. See

help contrast
help contrast##operators

I want to thank again Phil Ender and ATS for providing such a wonderful
resource for data analysts.

I agree. Besides programs, UCLA has some very nice tutorials and examples.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu