st: aggregation of Fisher's exact test p-values

From   Meredith Anderson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: aggregation of Fisher's exact test p-values
Date   Fri, 13 Jul 2012 15:12:47 -0700

I have a dataset containing two independent pools that each consist of
a different number of males and females. The outcome of interest is
promotion status by gender, and each pool has a different proportion
of males and females that were promoted. The number of promotions in
each of these pools is small. To test whether there is a significant
difference in the promotion rates by gender, I performed a fisher's
exact test on each pool:

-tab gender promoted if pool==1, exact-

            |       promoted
gender  |          0          1 |     Total
-----------+----------------------+----------
         0 |        25          3 |        28
         1 |        63          1 |        64
-----------+----------------------+----------
    Total |        88          4 |        92

           Fisher's exact =                 0.082
1-sided Fisher's exact =                 0.082

-tab gender promoted if pool==2, exact-

            |       promoted
 gender |         0          1 |     Total
-----------+----------------------+----------
         0 |        33          2 |        35
         1 |        77          3 |        80
    Total |       110         5 |       115

           Fisher's exact =                 0.639
1-sided Fisher's exact =                 0.483

I would like to be able to generate an aggregated p-value that weights
each pool separately by the number of promotions (instead of simply
tabulating gender and promoted without a pool restriction). Is there a
way to do this in Stata? I would like to be able to do this using at
least 100 pools. Thanks,

Meredith Anderson