Re: st: Industry dummies - inflated standard errors

From   Maarten Buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Industry dummies - inflated standard errors
Date   Mon, 9 Jul 2012 16:47:19 +0200

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Seliger  Florian wrote:
> Using factor variables solves the problem.
> However, I don't understand why? What is the difference between using dummy_1-dummy_33 and i.dummy?

It could mean that you did not exclude the reference category from
dummy_1-dummy_33, or that you chose an unfortunate reference category,
or that you made an error while creating those indicator variables.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen