st: Industry dummies - inflated standard errors

From   "Seliger Florian" <>
Subject   st: Industry dummies - inflated standard errors
Date   Mon, 9 Jul 2012 08:28:44 +0000

Dear statalisters,

as I only have little experience, I would be happy if you could try to answer my question.

After entering industry dummies into probit or multinomial logit models (or other models, I haven't tried...), I sometimes experience the problem that standard errors of the coefficients of the dummies tend to infinity and p-values tend to one. I am working with firm level surveys.

Do you have an explanation for this phenomenon?

Thank you for your consideration.