Re: st: xttobit & stata 12: Initial values not feasible

Subject   Re: st: xttobit & stata 12: Initial values not feasible
Date   Tue, 3 Jul 2012 20:05:09 +0200

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 6:07 PM, Surender Komera wrote:
> Ok. I'm not sure i got it completely what you are saying. As you see i
> don't have any binary variable or any time invariant one as
> explanatory variables. All my explanatory variables are ratios and
> they are continuous. I didn't clearly get it how i can center them?

I do not understand what you do not understand. You can create new
variables with -generate-. These new variables will be equal to the
old variables minus some number that makes sure that the value 0 is
within the range of the data. After that you just add those new
variables instead of the old variables. You should not do this with
categorical variables, but since you claim not to have them, that is
not a problem. The fact that your variables are not time invariant is
irrelevant.

> I appreciate if you can site some source for reading to understand it clearly.

Any introductory text on multilevel modeling will deal with this.

> However, do you think it can
> potentially offer some solution to my problem of "Initial values not
> feasible".

As I explained before: yes.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis