Re: st: xttobit & stata 12: Initial values not feasible

From   Maarten Buis <>
Subject   Re: st: xttobit & stata 12: Initial values not feasible
Date   Tue, 3 Jul 2012 14:24:44 +0200

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Surender Komera wrote:
> I'm trying to run 'xttobit' as part of my analysis (STATA12). I did it
> successfully with my complete dataset. Now i am divided the sample
> into quartiles based on firm size (one variable in my dataset).
> Unfortunately, it is throwing out "Initial values not feasible" as
> error message (r1400).

Are there a large proportion of censored observations in that quartile?

Did you center all your explanatory/righ-hand-side/x-variables at some
reasonable value within the range of your data?

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen