Re: st: Arranging variables across rows

From   Nick Cox <njcoxstata@GMAIL.COM>
Subject   Re: st: Arranging variables across rows
Date   Wed, 27 Jun 2012 09:14:59 +0100

Follow the code given earlier with

bysort family (person) : gen col = _n
reshape wide person treated , i(family) j(col)

In practice, you would need to process the rest of your data as well,
because there is no guarantee that you recover your A* variables this
way. I want to stress (again, but for the last time in this thread)
that for almost all Stata analysis you should prefer a long structure.

There are enough tips and tricks for working rowwise to fill one
paper, but working columnwise is in effect the subject of the rest of
the documentation.

I allude to

SJ-9-1  pr0046  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Speaking Stata: Rowwise
        (help rowsort, rowranks if installed) . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox
        Q1/09   SJ 9(1):137--157
        shows how to exploit functions, egen functions, and Mata
        for working rowwise; rowsort and rowranks are introduced