Re: st: Arranging variables across rows

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Arranging variables across rows
Date   Tue, 26 Jun 2012 23:30:59 +0100

-rowsort- is from SJ. I think you are correct; it does not help here
at all, nor does it purport to.

My main advice is to restructure to a long structure as fast as
possible. With this structure this will only be the first of several
awkward problems and not even the most difficult of those.

I created some similar data and did this

. list

     |  A1    A2    A3    A4    B1    B2   B3   family |
     |-------------------------------------------------|
  1. | 101   102   103   104   102   104    .    alpha |
  2. | 201   202   203   204   203     .    .     beta |

. keep family A*

. reshape long A, i(family)
(note: j = 1 2 3 4)

Data                               wide   ->   long
Number of obs.                        2   ->       8
Number of variables                   5   ->       3
j variable (4 values)                     ->   _j
xij variables:
                           A1 A2 ... A4   ->   A

. drop if _j == .
(0 observations deleted)

. drop _j

. gen treated = 0

. rename A person

. save Afile, replace
file Afile.dta saved

. use rowprob

. keep family B*

. reshape long B, i(family)
(note: j = 1 2 3)

Data                               wide   ->   long
Number of obs.                        2   ->       6
Number of variables                   4   ->       3
j variable (3 values)                     ->   _j
xij variables:
                               B1 B2 B3   ->   B

. rename B person

. drop if person == .
(3 observations deleted)

. drop _j

. gen treated = 1

. list

     +---------------------------+
     | family   person   treated |
     |---------------------------|
  1. |  alpha      102         1 |
  2. |  alpha      104         1 |
  3. |   beta      203         1 |
     +---------------------------+

. append using Afile

. collapse (max) treated, by(family person)

. list

     +---------------------------+
     | family   person   treated |
     |---------------------------|
  1. |  alpha      101         0 |
  2. |  alpha      102         1 |
  3. |  alpha      103         0 |
  4. |  alpha      104         1 |
  5. |   beta      201         0 |
     |---------------------------|
  6. |   beta      202         0 |
  7. |   beta      203         1 |
  8. |   beta      204         0 |
     +---------------------------+

Here's the code in case it's useful.

list
keep family A*
reshape long A, i(family)
drop if _j == .
drop _j
gen treated = 0
rename A person
save Afile, replace
use rowprob
keep family B*
reshape long B, i(family)
rename B person
drop if person == .
drop _j
gen treated = 1
list
append using Afile
collapse (max) treated, by(family person)
list

I think this is messier than a single -reshape- because you have
different numbers of A and B variables and they don't map on to one
another. There would be a -merge- solution as well, for sure.