st: RE: Interpreting Kleibergen Paap weak instrument statistic

Subject   st: RE: Interpreting Kleibergen Paap weak instrument statistic
Date   Mon, 25 Jun 2012 12:10:46 +0100

James,

I wrote that paragraph, so the ambiguity is partly my fault.  But the
problem is that there are no concrete results in the literature for
testing for weak IVs when the i.i.d. assumption fails.  The only thing
one can do (that I'm aware of, anyway) is to point to stats that have an
asymptotic justification in a test of underidentification, which is what
the output of -ivreg2- does.  That is, the K-P stat can be used to test
for underidentification without the i.i.d. assumption, and under i.i.d.
it has the same distribution under the null as the Cragg-Donald stat.
This justification is different from that underlying the Stock-Yogo
critical values, so this is pretty hand-wavey.

The alternative is weak-instrument-robust estimation, a la
Anderson-Rubin, Moreira, Kleibergen, etc.  The Finlay-Magnusson
-rivtest- command, available via ssc ideas in the usual way, supports
this.  Also see their accompanying SJ paper (vol. 9 no. 3).  The command
doesn't directly support panel data estimation, which is what you have,
but you could just demean your variables by hand.

HTH,
Mark

> Best wishes
>
> James Fitzgerald

Heriot-Watt University is the Sunday Times
Scottish University of the Year 2011-2012

registered under charity number SC000278.