st: RE: regression where independant var with gaps

From   "Millimet, Daniel" <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: RE: regression where independant var with gaps
Date   Fri, 15 Jun 2012 16:09:59 +0000

Not unless the DGP underlying the model also has the gaps.  If you fit an AR(1) model to the series where the true DGP has a period as a day, then missing gaps changes the parameter on the lag when the lag represents more than 1 period back.  See some recent blog posts and references by David Giles.

Daniel L. Millimet, Professor
Department of Economics
Box 0496
Dallas, TX 75275-0496
phone: 214.768.3269
fax: 214.768.1821

-----Original Message-----
From: [] On Behalf Of tashi lama
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2012 10:55 AM
Subject: st: regression where independant var with gaps

Hello all,

   I have a univariate time series with gaps like following

date                      hits

01/01/2011                40

01/02/2011                20

01/03/2011                9

01/06/2011                6

01/10/2011                2

Can I run a regression since the my independant vars have gaps?

Thanx always,