RE: st: Generating missings/dropping specific data based on one variable

From   Nick Cox <n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk>
Subject   RE: st: Generating missings/dropping specific data based on one variable
Date   Mon, 23 Apr 2012 11:07:55 +0100

In essence, you need -replace-, not -generate-.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

Ronnie Babigumira

Showing some data would help but anyway, here is an hypothetical example.

Two variables, "howmuch" should only be answered by those who answered yes (1) in the variable "didsth"

id didsth howmuch
1 1 82
2 0 .
3 0 6
4 1 54
5 1 92
6 0 34
7 1 .

gen perror = didsth == 0 & howmuch !=.  // Or however you coded not applicable
gen truemis = didsth == 1 & howmuch ==.

If your interest is in real missing's (didsth is yes but you have no data on howmuch), then look at truemis. If you are looking for potential data entry errors, look at perror