Re: st: IV-oprobit using the cmp command

From   Stas Kolenikov <>
Subject   Re: st: IV-oprobit using the cmp command
Date   Thu, 5 Apr 2012 14:57:59 -0500

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Peter Gambrill <> wrote:
> I am trying to using Instrumental variables using a probit
> specification. The command I have found is the "cmp" command, I just
> wondered if anyone had experience of using this and could help me with
> this estimation.
> My endogenous variable is a measure of gender identity. This is a
> discrete variable that has a scale of 7 to 33.
> Gender Identity = constant + instruments + error
> The second stage dependant variable is a measure of subjective well
> being on a scale of 1 to 36
> Subjective well-being = constant + controls + gender identity + error
> Can anyone give some advice on how I might achieve this estimation
> using stata?

Oh come on. Don't overcomplicate things. If both ranges are filled up
reasonably well, treat them as continuous and run the whole thing as
-ivregress-. Otherwise, you'd be running into problems with a HUGE
number of ancillary parameters (thresholds) that would be difficult to
identify, especially on the extreme ends, where you may have less than
a handful of observations.

Stas Kolenikov, also found at