Re: st: Responding to messages using the Statalist digest - a new FAQ?

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Responding to messages using the Statalist digest - a new FAQ?
Date   Fri, 23 Mar 2012 10:20:11 +0000

It's nice for a change to be told of something left out of the FAQ.
(Daily there is an implication that it is too long and complicated for
some list members to bother to read.)

This issue has arisen before on the list, although not recently, and
Paul's method is surely the best way for digest subscribers to reply.
You don't have any of the individual messages to reply to and we don't
want you to reply to the digest, at least not without editing it down
to the crucial part. As quite a few digest subscribers already use
this method and it's really the only one possible I didn't think
previously that this needed to be explained, but I welcome any further
views on this.

By the way, we often tinker with the FAQ without announcing it.
Recently we added some explicit advice in section 1 on what to read
before you post anything and moved up the section on the names "Stata"
and "Mata".

Nick