st: Responding to messages using the Statalist digest - a new FAQ?

From   "Seed, Paul" <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: Responding to messages using the Statalist digest - a new FAQ?
Date   Fri, 23 Mar 2012 10:06:21 +0000

Dear Statalist,

I am never quite sure what the best method is to contribute to a
Statalist discussion I find in the Statalist digest.
There does not seem to be anything in the Statalist FAQ on this,
but I can't be the only person with this problem.

It's all right with a new thread (like this).  However,
when replying there are two dangers -
including more of the digest in the response than intended
(sometimes far more) - and not using an appropriate header,
so that the message doesn't get threaded properly.
Nick Cox mentioned a broken thread recently which might
have been my fault.  General apologies if so.

I think the answer (and the paragraph I would like to see in
the Statalist FAQ) is:

"Identify the start and end of the message you want to respond.
Copy and paste it (removing unnecessary tail) from the digest
into a new message addressed to Statalist
(  Add > markers.
Copy the subject, preceded by "Re:", into the Subject line.
Write your response (and signature) at the head of the message."

Apologies if this is so obvious to everyone else it doesn't even
need a FAQ.

Paul T Seed, Senior Lecturer in Medical Statistics,
Division of Women's Health, King's College London
Women's Health Academic Centre, KHP
(+44) (0) 20 7188 3642.