Re: st: save a subset of data

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: save a subset of data
Date   Thu, 22 Mar 2012 07:14:16 +0000

Brendan's solution is direct and would no doubt be the solution that
occurs to many users. It's however a puzzle why -save- does not have
the flexibility to -save- some of the dataset, which is predictable
enough as something you might want to do. If there is a good reason
for this it is tied up with Stata's logic of keeping track of whether
your dataset has changed, as a safety feature that (for example) warns
you if you try to -exit- without having -save-d changes to your data.

. sysuse auto, clear
(1978 Automobile Data)

. di c(changed)
0

. keep make mpg

. save march22
file march22.dta saved

. di c(changed)
0

c(changed) answers one question: has the data changed since last
-save-d; and the answer is here 0, meaning No, and the answer is
undoubtedly correct from Stata's point of view. However, this way the
user could easily lose a great deal of work. This is not a bug or a
misfeature; -keep- is destructive and the user gets precisely what is
requested; as in many folk tales, the punishment is that you got
exactly what you asked for.

 However, there is a safer way to do this and it is given by
-savesome- (SSC) which is in its entirety

. ssc type savesome.ado
*! NJC 1.0.1 9 August 2011
*! NJC 1.0.0 25 April 2001
program def savesome
        version 7.0
        syntax [varlist] [if] [in] using/ [ , * ]
        preserve
        qui {
                if `"`if'`in'"' != "" { keep `if' `in' }
                keep `varlist'
        }
        save `"`using'"', `options'
end

Here it is again in practice

. sysuse auto, clear
(1978 Automobile Data)

. savesome make mpg using march22 , replace
file march22.dta saved

. di c(changed)
0

This time c(changed) is likely to be what the user hopes for.

Nick