st: Conditional logit - Coefficient of the base variable?

From   Hadji Cortez Jalotjot <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Conditional logit - Coefficient of the base variable?
Date   Tue, 13 Mar 2012 07:38:05 -0700 (PDT)

Hi!

My question might not be purely Stata related but I appreciate any response.

I estimated a conditional logit model for vehicle choice from a the data I got in a discrete choice experiment.  In the model, explanatory variables for choice is the vehicle attributes itself (i.e. engine type, price, range, emission level, presence of incentive, etc).  Each vehicle attribute has several levels (e.g. engine - gas, diesel, lpg.......).  I set one level for each attribute as the base variable and got the results.

Now, I want to use this model to estimate possible effects of policies on vehicle choice.  I will use sample enumeration method but I'm afraid I need the coefficients for the base variable.  Is it possible to compute this based on the results?

I can compute the probability of the base variable using the exponentiated coefficients of the other variables.  But can the coefficient itself be computed?

Thanks!

Hadji