st: Data management _flag on the basis of the frequency

From   "Agnieszka Trzeciakiewicz" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Data management _flag on the basis of the frequency
Date   Tue, 13 Mar 2012 12:55:14 -0000

Hi!
I'm trying to mark an occurrence of an event in a particular firm, made by a
particular director.

The idea is to mark an occurrence with number 1, if there is an available
record in the same month over the past three consecutive years.
For instance if for a director A there is a record in 09/2000, 09/2001, and
09/2002 I would like to assign year 2000 with mark 0, year 2001 with mark 0
and 2002 with mark 1.

I have used Excel to solve my problem, and applied a relevant long formula .
However, Excel broke down each time I run it. The original file has over
50000 records. Please find the table below.

Is it possible to create ''mark'' column using STATA software and its data
management codes?
Thanks for your help.
Best wishes,
Agnieszka