Re: st: Confounding using chest

From   Jennifer Calder <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Confounding using chest
Date   Sun, 26 Feb 2012 12:24:00 -0500

The command that I downloaded was written by Wang.  Thanks for the link to the article, I'll review it.  I have to agree, have my doubts just based on the description included in STATA help.
This was very helpful
Sincerely,
Jennifer

On Feb 26, 2012, at 11:57 AM, Maarten Buis wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 5:05 AM, Jennifer Calder wrote:
>> I have been trying to use the chest command to check confounding in a binary logistic regression.   I am building the logistic regression using the purposeful selection.   I am not quite sure how chest is checking confounding or how the betas in the output table is calculated as well as how this program handles dummies, as I get as single coefficient  and percentage change in beta for dummy variables.
>
> -chest- is user written, so per the Statalist FAQ you must say where
> you got it from. This requirement is not to annoy you, but to help you
> ask answerable questions. In case of user written software, there are
> often multiple versions floating around in cyber space, and it
> obviously helps when we are all talking about the same version.
>
> To answer you question, did you read:
>
> Zhiqiang Wang (2007) Two postestimation commands for assessing
> confounding effects in epidemiological studies. The Stata Journal,
> 7(2): 183-196.
> <http://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=st0124>
>
> In general I am not too convinced by commands like these. The real
> issue is to distinguish between confounding and intervening variables
> and these kind of commands tend to distract from that.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Maarten

> Maarten L. Buis
> Institut fuer Soziologie