st: -cluster kmeans- with -weight- or -svyset-

From   David Cefskimal <>
Subject   st: -cluster kmeans- with -weight- or -svyset-
Date   Sat, 18 Feb 2012 15:47:37 +0100

Dear Statalist,

I am using the -cluster kmeans- command to look for opinion clusters
in a sample of 4200 respondents located in three countries whereby
v1-v7 are ordinal scaled items. vC==1 represents country Nr 1. I found
a four group solution most stable in this country:

cluster kmeans v1 v2 v3 v4 v5 v6 if vC==1, k(4)

My surveysetting is simply -svyset [pw=w1]- . I did the clustering
without the weighting variable as svy does not accept the -cluster
kmeans- command.  How to change the code including the weighting
variable w1?

Thanks a lot, david (Sociologist, Berlin)