st: RE: Scroll back the console without pausing calculations

From   "Cohen, Elan" <cohened@upmc.edu>
Subject   st: RE: Scroll back the console without pausing calculations
Date   Wed, 8 Feb 2012 14:19:05 +0000

You can start a log file before the procedure, then use a text editor to view the log file while it is running.  Just make sure the program you use to view the log file doesn't try to claim writing access.  Notepad should work fine if you're on Windows.

HTH,

- Elan

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Richard Herron
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 5:28
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: st: Scroll back the console without pausing calculations

During long optimization problems I like to scroll back the console
and review my intermediate results. But when the optimizer completes
an iteration I get a line like

Iteration 60:  GMM criterion Q(b) =  6.008e-06

that moves the console to the most recent line. This makes it
difficult to review my results until all calculations complete. If I
-set more off-, then I can scroll back at the -more- prompts, but
-more- also pauses calculations.

Is there a way to scroll back through results without pausing
calculations? Thanks!