Re: st: Use of data originating from SPSS

To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu, statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: Use of data originating from SPSS
Date   Wed, 01 Feb 2012 12:35:38 -0500

At 12:22 PM 2/1/2012, Margaret MacDougall wrote:
Hello

I have recently migrated from SPSS to Stata to allow me to implement fractional polynomial techniques, including the mfp procure, for a logistic regression analysis. I have been able to save the original SPSS file in Stata format. The variables in the SPSS file were of numeric "Type" (in the sense intended by the SPSS Variable View facility) with text labels linked to the numerical codes using the SPSS Value Labels function. On opening up the Stata version of this file, the text labels appear in the individual columns for the dependent and independent variables. When I run the code for identifying the Stata file and running the mfp procedure, the error code r(2000) is generated, pointed to an absence of observations.

Is it possible that I require to reformat the data in some way for the procedure to run successfully? I would be grateful for some handy tips to save some time.

If you have access to it (or are willing to buy it) I would trust Stat/Transfer more than I would SPSS's own conversion utility. You might also try -usespss-, which can be downloaded for free from SSC.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu
WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam