st: RE: Error message using Tabout and regressions by year command

From   Nick Cox <>
To   "''" <>
Subject   st: RE: Error message using Tabout and regressions by year command
Date   Wed, 1 Feb 2012 17:29:24 +0000

Answers below.

Alice Jones

I am currently working with a panel dataset of companies over a period
of 9 years. I need to run regressions on a year-by year basis
including a lag of the independent variable. Using this command in
Stata 11:

"bysort year: regress growth  L.size",

I get this error message:

"r(5) Not sorted".

However, running the same command without a lag in the model works
perfectly. I need help with how to run the regressions as the
inclusion of lags is critical to my analysis.

NJC>>> This looks like a clash between the sorting by year you are asking for and the sorting implied by whatever -tsset- or -xtset- command you issued. You may need to try something like this

levelsof year, local(years)

foreach y of local years {
	regress growth L.size if year == `y'

Secondly in using the "Tabout" command,entering "Tabout" produces a
table but when entering the following command afterwards to format the

"replace cells(fcount fper fcum) format(%9.0fc %9.1f %9.2f)"

yields this message:

"time-series operators not allowed r(101)"

I xtset the data prior to running Tabout and even tsset again after
getting message first time but still getting same error message.

Is there something wrong with the commands I ran?