st: RE: Use of data originating from SPSS

From   "MacLennan, Graeme" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Use of data originating from SPSS
Date   Thu, 2 Feb 2012 07:50:17 +0000

Margaret, in addition to the advice already given, a quick aside. You do not state what version of SPSS you used to save .dta files, but the first release of version 19 had a bug in it which caused problems when translating to .dta.  This was fixed in the first update.  But -usespss- (SSC) gets round any problems.
Regards, Graeme. (A fellow SPSS-to-Stata migrant).

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Margaret MacDougall
Sent: 01 February 2012 17:23
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Use of data originating from SPSS

Hello

I have recently migrated from SPSS to Stata to allow me to implement fractional polynomial techniques, including the mfp procure, for a logistic regression analysis. I have been able to save the original SPSS file in Stata format. The variables in the SPSS file were of numeric "Type" (in the sense intended by the SPSS Variable View facility) with text labels linked to the numerical codes using the SPSS Value Labels function. On opening up the Stata version of this file, the text labels appear in the individual columns for the dependent and independent variables. When I run the code for identifying the Stata file and running the mfp procedure, the error code r(2000) is generated, pointed to an absence of observations.

Is it possible that I require to reformat the data in some way for the procedure to run successfully? I would be grateful for some handy tips to save some time.

Many thanks

Best wishes

Margaret