st: analysis of cluster of fungal infection in an ICU-unit

From   roland andersson <rolandersson@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: analysis of cluster of fungal infection in an ICU-unit
Date   Wed, 21 Dec 2011 13:09:40 +0100

We are analysing fungal infections in 792 patients that were admitted
to our ICU unit during 2007 and part of 2008. Some consecutive
patients were infected with the same fungal clones suggesting
transmission via the ICU personnel. So I have data on 78 patients with
positive fungal tests (180 isolates, 6 species and 37 clones) and the
date of the isolate.

Graphically we can find that the same clone was found in 3-4
consecutive patients on many occasions suggesting true clusters of
infection. The clones varies between these clusters.

I would be very glad for any suggestion on how to analyse the
probability of this occurrrence of clusters using Stata.

Best regards
Roland Andersson
Jönköping, Sweden