st: hshaz with multiple spells data

From   <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: hshaz with multiple spells data
Date   Mon, 19 Dec 2011 09:51:23 -0000

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 11:11:50 +0100 (CET)
From: Judit VALL CASTELLO <[email protected]>
Subject: st: hshaz with multiple spells data

Dear stata-users,

I am trying to estimate a multiple spells duration model with the hshaz and the pgmhaz8 commands. Is there any option that I need to use in order to tell stata that my data has multiple spells or the command and the options are the same than a single spell model? The model with single spells converges but the model with multiple spells with the same command does not.

Thanks for your help!

Judit Vall Castello
Visiting Professor
Universitat de Girona

=============================

The likelihood for -pgmhaz8- applies for the case of single spell per observation unit; the module should not be used for multiple spell data. Inter alia, see:
Ondrich, J. and Rhody, S. (1999), ?Multiple spells in the Prentice-Gloeckler-Meyer likelihood with unobserved heterogeneity?, Economics Letters 63, 139-144.

I think the same comment refers to -hshaz-, but do not have the time to check right now.

You could instead use -xtcloglog- for a proportional hazards model with Normal (Gaussian) unobserved heterogeneity. This works in the multiple spell case because the frailty is integrated out numerically, rather than analytically.

Stephen
Professor Stephen P. Jenkins <[email protected]>
Department of Social Policy and STICERD
Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE, UK
Tel: +44(0)20 7955 6527
Changing Fortunes: Income Mobility and Poverty Dynamics in Britain, OUP 2011, http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199226436.do