RE: st: Regression Across Two Groups

From   Cameron McIntosh <>
Subject   RE: st: Regression Across Two Groups
Date   Tue, 13 Dec 2011 14:40:27 -0500

Thanks for your comments. My understanding is that the residual variance difference term is only identifiable for situations with groups (or time points) > 1. Essentially, the term is fixed in the first group but left free in the second, so the first group becomes a "reference category", and the estimate of epsilon_squared for the second group is actually the difference in unobserved residual variation (the same approach is taken in multiple group factor analysis for estimating latent means). I seem to recall that this is somewhat similar in motivation to a more complicated work-around proposed by Allison (1999) in his classic paper I cited earlier in this thread. Unfortunately, I know of no detailed documentation on Muthen/Asparouhov's approach, other than what is mentioned in the manual and occasionally on the Mplus discussion list (, but I have been assuming that given the originators' reputations, it's kosher.
Best regards,