st: RE: FW: Re: xtmixed slope cross validation

From   "Proitsi, Petroula" <>
To   "" <>
Subject   st: RE: FW: Re: xtmixed slope cross validation
Date   Mon, 12 Dec 2011 16:13:39 +0000

thats great!
it works now!
many many thanks!
From: [] On Behalf Of Yulia Marchenko, StataCorp LP []
Sent: 02 December 2011 20:46
Subject: st: FW: Re: xtmixed slope  cross validation

Petra <> has a follow-up question about computing
BLUPs after -xtmixed- using test data after the model is fit using training

> however, I get all my people with empty values when i do this: my exact code
> is
>  . use:" data...."
>  * i have already a variable training =1 if it is training and 0 if it is test
>  . xi:xtmixed var1 days ....... if training==1 || id:days, reml cov(un)
>  . predict rs1 rs2 it training!=1, reffects
> why do you think this is? by the way im using stata10 ic
> do you think this may be the reason?

In this case, the most likely reason for getting missing values of BLUPs after
-predict, reffects- is that the group identifiers in the test data are
different from the group identifiers in the training data.  When creating a
training indicator, Petra needs to make sure that each group is represented in
both test and training datasets.  For example,

  . webuse pig, clear
    // set seed for reproducibility
  . set seed 287634
    // select 50% of obs within each group into a training sample
  . by id, sort: gen training = runiform()>0.5
  . xtmixed weight week if training || id: week
  . predict r* if !training, reffects
  . summarize r*

-- Yulia