Re: st: mmregress question

Subject   Re: st: mmregress question
Date   Fri, 2 Dec 2011 16:48:50 -0500

Bruno:

I should have pointed out, as you did not, that -mmregress- is a contributed package written by Verardi and Croux. It can be found by -findit-.

I already stated how to get the identical results from run to run; reread my post.

I  also mentioned that dummy variables will give -mmregress- and -sregress- trouble and stated that -msregress-, another part of the package, must be used.  Since you don't mention trying -mmregress-, I guess that you have no dummy variables.

Other issues that could problems:

* Too many predictors for your number of observations)

In that case, try a reduced model

* The model is misspecified

I can think up data configurations where the wrong model, even for a single predictor, could cause -mmregress- and -ssregress- to be unstable. So you might, for example, try a fractional polynomial, instead of linear terms; or consider interactions (I know this conflicts with the parsimony recommendation).

Lower on the list of causes of your problems:

* Using too many or too few subsets.  The -help- shows how to vary the number.

* Not using the latest version

I've run -mmregress- repeatedly on several data sets of the same size as yours and have never encountered the instability you've seen.  So I suspect the problem is unique to your set-up, not "how to select appropriate starting subsample".

Steve