Re: st: barcharts with error plot + legend?

From   Ronan Conroy <>
To   "" <>
Subject   Re: st: barcharts with error plot + legend?
Date   Thu, 24 Nov 2011 12:16:29 +0000

There are people who love dynamite plots and people who don't.

I don't.

They waste space displaying the mean (a point value) as a bar, and the standard error that doesn't tell us much.

My own preference is for Nick Cox's -stripplot- (from ssc) with added means and confidence intervals. This allows the reader to see the *actual data* as well as the summary statistics.

The fact that although dynamite plots can be done in Stata (albeit rather tediously) no-one appears to have written a graph command to automate the process would argue that they have few advocates on this list.

On 2011 Samh 23, at 23:25, Guo Xu wrote:

> Dear list,
> I'm looking for a procedure that can swiftly create barcharts with
> over(.) and by(.) + allows me to add a legend. Basically, I'm looking
> for an easy way to create this:
> The procedure described on the website, however, is incredibly tedious
> and I failed to find a shortcut. I'd be grateful for any suggestions
> or hints!

Ronán Conroy
Associate Professor
Division of Population Health Sciences